Urology Urgent Care
Same Day Appointments With A Member Of Our Specialist Urology Team (MD or NP)
We have noticed over many years the imperfect practice that allows the prescription of antibiotics by phone without an evaluation and urgent cares indiscriminately prescribing antibiotics without or without proof of infection and without adequate follow-up or guidance for their patients. This has worsened with the advent of online services. Misdiagnoses and patient frustration are far too common. In the best of circumstances, they would have been better treated for overactive bladder or another non-infectious diagnosis; in the worst of circumstances, every urologist is familiar with the missed life-threatening bladder cancer due to this style of management.
To address this, every patient that would otherwise have gone to a generic urgent care for their urologic needs can now be seen at a specialist-level urologic urgent care with same-day appointments by either a urologist or a urology nurse practitioner.
Same Day Appointments With Ndidi Okanu, NP – Downtown DC
Same Day Appointments With Dr. Tobon – Chevy Chase, MD
We are specifically staffed and have chosen testing procedures to allow for availability, speed in diagnosis, and guaranteed follow-up care.
Did You Know?
- Almost 90% of patients leave a typical urgent care with antibiotics.
- Many other urologic conditions masquerade as UTIs, including bladder cancer, kidney stones, pelvic floor disorders, overactive bladder, or non-bacterial prostatitis.
- Overusing antibiotics, often the first line of treatment at urgent care, can lead to dangerous antibiotic resistance.
- Most patients that see a urologist after an urgent care visit never actually had an infection.
What We Treat
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Hematuria (blood in urine)
- Testis Pain
- And more…
Why Seeing a Specialist Urology Urgent Care Offers Better Medicine
- All patients will have their urine tested for infection or other concerns and will be given an in-person or virtual appointment to review results and check treatment efficacy.
- We utilize urine PCR testing rather than urine culture, which is more accurate and precise and delivers results within 24 hours. Standard urine culture requires 48-72 hours.
- Immediate access to a urology specialist should more complicated or persistent problems be found.
- Patients, for a small fee, can purchase their antibiotics directly from our office on the day of their visit.
- We perform in-house and immediate ultrasound for testis pain
- Same-day appointments can be made directly online
- Walk-ins are welcome
Absolutely not. A very common urologic urgent care visit is testis pain in men with cancer and infection concerns. An equally common visit is the man with unexplained urinary frequency and pain, often termed “prostatitis,” and other ailments specific to men.
Blood in the urine can often accompany urinary tract infection in women. However, it must be proven as such. Blood in the urine can also be a dangerous situation that can be the first sign of urologic malignancy or kidney stones. These problems deserve urologic management specifically.
Urine PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is a new and revolutionary genetic test looking for the actual genetic code of specific bacteria. It is the same technology used to detect pathogens such as COVID or used by police at a crime scene. PCR can find genetic resistance markers in bacteria immediately and thus aid in proper antibiotic choice. It delivers results in 1/3 of the time of standard urine culture as well.