Bowel Preparation Instructions
- Start a clear liquid diet at 11:30PM 2 days prior to your scheduled surgery. For example, if your surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, stop eating solid foods at 11:30PM on Monday night. Examples of clear liquids are water, apple juice, Gatorade, tea and black coffee. Refrain from drinking orange juice, coffee with milk and cream.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your scheduled surgery.
- Follow the prescription given to you by your doctor.
- Trilyte or Golytely or similar: 1 gallon by mouth, must be finished by 2:00PM the day prior to your surgery. (start around 10 – 11am). Use your own drink mix if not pre-mixed with a flavor, and chill as much as possible as it is easier to drink cold.
- Neomycin 500 mg: Take 2 tablets at 5pm, 7pm and 9pm the day prior to your surgery.
- Metronidazole 500 mg: Take 1 tablet at 5pm, 7pm and 9pm the day prior to your surgery