Research & Publications
CURRENT CLINICAL TRIALS
Dr. Engel has been heavily involved in research dating all the way back before medical school, during residency, and throughout his career. The focus has shifted along the way. A review of Dr. Engel’s CV will show that he was able to use his position as a relative pioneer in the field of robotic surgery to publish many papers focusing on the outcomes of this surgery. More recently, he has more of an emphasis on office-based clinical trials, particularly as pertain to prostate cancer drugs. Below is a partial list of ongoing studies:
- Comparison of Orgovyx to Lupron/Eligard in the setting of metastatic prostate cancer. This is a Phase 3 randomized trial seeking to demonstrate the superiority of Orgovyx to Lupron/Eligard with regard to cardiovascular side effects. The predecessor of Orgovyx did show this. Patients qualify if they have risk factors such as taking an antihypertensive, a statin, diabetes or family or personal history of heart disease. A patient who qualifies here will have all drugs provided for free and will be given a stipend for each visit.
- An observational study of patients placed on Orgovyx for metastatic prostate cancer. Here, the makers of Orgovyx seek simply to follow those taking this fully approved drug. Insurance will be used, but by being in this trial free samples will also be given. Also, patients in this trial will be helped/followed by their personal study coordinator which can be invaluable with regards to making appts, dealing with the insurance company, and arranging lab tests.
- A phase 3 trial that compares the use of Xtandi to a very similar drug as an adjunct to Eligard to treat metastatic prostate cancer exhibiting lymph node involvement. Patients will already be on Eligard, and often bicalutamide to treat their prostate cancer. If such a patient has demonstrable enlarged lymph nodes on a CT scan, they will be switched to the standard of care Eligard/Xtandi versus Eligard/Study Drug. The study drug is a well-established drug overseas whereby the company is seeking FDA approval for distribution in America. Dr. Engel has been enrolling patients in this trial for four years now and has seen excellent results with both drugs. Patients who qualify get not only all drugs for free but also all scans, tests, and medical visits for free as well.
- Dr Engel conducts studies where specimens are collected, with their consent, of blood or urine samples that are used in an attempt to generate diagnostic or risk stratification tests for cancer. Patients are given a stipend.
- Dr. Engel is currently gathering data in order to publish his results with saturation biopsy and MRI fusion biopsy. The question as to whether the MRI fusion biopsy adds anything in terms of sensitivity or specificity will be evaluated. If no value is seen, the cost reduction to exclude MRI in one’s practice pattern will be reported.
PAST CLINICAL TRIALS
A Multi-Center, Randomized, Assessor-Blind, Controlled Trial Comparing the Occurrence of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events (MACEs) in Patients with Prostate Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease Receiving Degarelix (GnRH Receptor Antagonist) or Leuprolide (GnRH Receptor Agonist).
Sponsor: Ferring Pharmaceuticals
Description: This trial enrolls patients who have prostate cancer that necessitates hormonal therapy. it specifically looks for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, either treated or untreated. All patients receive hormonal therapy that would otherwise be given for free. The study seeks to determine which currently used hormonal therapy, Lupron or Firmagon, has fewer cardiac effects.
A Multicenter, Multi-Arm, Randomized, Multi-Dose, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Phase 3 Study of Intravesical Apaziquone (EOquin) as a Surgical Adjuvant in the Immediate Postoperative Period in Patients Undergoing Transurethral Resection for Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer.
Sponsor: Spectrum Pharmaceuticals
Description: This trial enrolls patients who have been newly diagnosed with a bladder tumor that is likely to be low grade and non-invasive by the Urologist. Currently, such patients may or may not receive a single dose of Mitomycin-C to decrease recurrence at the time of resection. This study uses a currently utilized drug in Europe, Eoquin, which has fewer possible severe complications (as Mitomycin can have) with similar or better results. This trial studies the effect of two doses versus one after resection on efficacy.
- S.E. Hayhurst, J.D. Engel, T. Walsh, S. Gordon, S. Murray, N. Boedeker: “What Is Your Diagnosis” (Seminal Vesical Obstruction and Resection in a Ring-Tailed Lemur: Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 246(8): 839-841, April 2015.
- J.D. Engel, S.B. Williams: “Unclamped Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy For Predominantly Endophytic Renal Tumors”: Urology Journal, 10(1): 767-773, Winter 2013.
- C.E. Bayne, W.A. Davis, C.P. Rothstein, J.D. Engel: “Seminal Vesicle Abscess Following Prostate Biopsy Requiring Transgluteal Percutaneous Drainage”: Canadian Journal of Urology, 20(3): 6811-6814, June 2013.
- F. Ahmed, J. Rhee, D.E. Sutherland, C.J. Benjamin, J.D. Engel, H.A. Frazier: “Early Surgical Complications Following Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy: The Initial 1000 Cases Stratified by the Clavien Classification System”: Journal of Endourology, 26(2): 135-139, February 2012.
- J.D. Engel: “Sexual Outcomes After Prostatectomy: A Call For Uniformity”: Canadian Journal of Urology, 19(4): 6336, 2012.
- J.D. Engel: “Robotic Prostatectomy Proven to Provide Sexual Outcome Benefit”: Nature Reviews Urology, 8(7): 357-358, July 2011.
- J.D. Engel: “Effect on Sexual Function of a Vacuum Erection Device Post-Prostatectomy”: Canadian Journal of Urology, 18(3): 5721-5725, June 2011.
- J.E. Jamal, J.D. Engel: “Management of Post-Prostatectomy Erectile Dysfunction”: Canadian Journal of Urology, 18(3): 5726-5730, June 2011.
- A. Wedmid, P. Mendoza, S. Sharma, R.L. Hastings, K.P. Monaha, M. Walicki, T.E. Ahlering, J. Porter, E.P. Castle, F. Ahmed, J.D. Engel, H.A. Frazier, D. Eun, D. I. Lee: “Rectal Injury During Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy: Incidence and Management”: Journal of Urology, 186: 1928-1933, 2011.
- D.E. Sutherland, B. Linder, A.M. Guzman, M. Hong, H.A. Frazier, J.D. Engel, F.J. Bianco: “Posterior Rhabdosphincter Reconstruction During Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy: Results From a Phase II Randomized Clinical Trial“: Journal of Urology, IN PRESS 2011.
- J.D. Engel, S.B. Williams, D.E. Sutherland, K.R. Wagner: “Changes in Penile Length After Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy“: Journal of Endourology, 25(1): 65-69, January 2011.
- J.D. Engel, S.B. Williams, W.W. Kao, Y.M. Hong: “Oncologic Outcome of Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy in the High Risk Setting“: Journal of Endourology, 24(12): 1963-1966, December 2010.
- D.E. Sutherland, S.B. Williams, D. Rice, T.W. Jarrett, J.D. Engel: “Vascular Pseudoaneurysms in Urology: Clinical Characteristics and Management“: Journal of Endourology, 24(6): 915-921, June 2010.
- Y.M. Hong, D.E. Sutherland, B. Linder, J.D. Engel: “Learning Curve” May Not Be Enough: Assessing the Oncologic Experience Curve for Robotic Radical Prostatectomy: Journal of Endourology, 24(3): 473-477, March 2010.
- A.R. McCullough, W.G. Hellstrom, R. Wang, H. Lepor, K.R. Wagner, J.D. Engel: “Recovery of Erectile Function Following Nerve Sparing Radical Prostatectomy and Penile Rehabilitation With Intraurethral Alprostadil Versus Sildenafil Citrate”: Journal of Urology, 183: 2451-2456, January 2010.
- S.B. Williams, D.E. Sutherland, H.A.Frazier, A. Schwartz, J.D. Engel: “Pathologic Analysis of Capsular and Incisional Denudation and Positive Margin Status in the Development of a Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy Program”: Journal of Robotic Surgery, 3(3): 137-140, 2009.
- H. Lepor, A.R. McCullough, J.D. Engel: “Renewing Intimacy: Advances in Treating Erectile Dysfunction Post-Prostatectomy“: Reviews in Urology, 10, 245-252, February 2009.
- K.B. Blumenthal, D.E. Sutherland, K.R. Wagner, H.A. Frazier, J.D. Engel: “Bladder Neck Contractures Related to the Use of Hem-O-Lock Clips in Robot Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy”: Urology, 72(1) 158-161, July 2008.
- J.D. Engel: Evolution of Robotic Urologic Surgery. Robotic Surgery: Theory and Technique, 2008: McGraw Hill Company
- J.D. Engel, H.A. Frazier: Development of a robotic prostatectomy program. Robotic Surgery: Theory and Technique, 2008: McGraw Hill Company.
- K. Wagner, T. Jarrett, J. D. Engel: Robotically Assisted Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty. Robotic Surgery: Theory and Technique, 2008: McGraw Hill Company.
- J.D. Engel, D. Jacobs, B. Konsur, C.M. Megaridis, W. Bushman: “Urodynamic Evaluation of the Human Bladder Response to an Increase in Outlet Resistance”: Neurourology and Urodynamics, 21(6): 524-528: 2003
- R.A Batler, R.A. Schoor, C.M. Gonzalez, J.D. Engel, R.B. Nadler: “Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Nephrectomy: The Experience of the Inexperienced”: Journal of Endourology, 15(5): 513-516, 2001.
- J.D. Engel : Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Pre-Menopausal Women. Urology Pearls, pp 145-147, January, 2000.
- J.D. Engel : Xanthogranulomatous Pyelonephritis. Urology Pearls, pp142-144, January, 2000.
- J.D. Engel, S.D. Kundu, T. Yang, S. Lang, S. Goodwin, L. Janulis, J. Chang, S-J Kim and C. Lee: “Introduction of Transforming Growth Factor b Type II Receptor Restores Tumor Suppressor Activity in Murine Renal Carcinoma (Renca) Cells”: Urology, 54(1): 164-170, 1999.
- J.D. Engel and A.J. Schaeffer: Evaluation and antimicrobial therapy of recurrent urinary tract infections in women. Urologic Clinics of North America, Office Urology, November, 1998.
- J.D. Engel, M.D. Moceanu, M.G. Oefelein and A.J. Schaeffer: Angiosarcoma of the bladder: A review. Urology, 52(5): 837-846, 1998.
- J.D. Engel, R.V. Rege, R.J. Joehl and P.A. Angelos: “Bilateral adrenal cortical adenomas in primary hyperaldosteronism”: Urology, 52(4): 711-714, 1998.
- S.D. Kundu, I.Y. Yim, D. Zelner, L. Janulis, S. Goodwin, J.D. Engel and C. Lee: “Absence of expression of Transforming Growth Factor b Type II receptor is associated with an aggressive growth pattern in a murine renal carcinoma cell line, Renca“: Journal of Urology, 160: 1883-1888, 1998.
- J.D. Engel, N. Gesundheit, P. Tam, L. Todd and K.T. McVary: “Efficacy of transurethral alprostadil in patients who failed prior intracavernosal injection therapy”: Urology, 51(5): 678-683, 1998.
- J.D. Engel, L.S. Palmer, E.Y. Cheng and W.E. Kaplan: “Surgical versus endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux in children with neurogenic bladder dysfunction”: Journal of Urology, 157: 2291-2294, 1997.
- F.A. van den Brule, J.D. Engel, W.G. Stetler-Stevenson, F.T. Liu, M.E. Sobel and V. Castronovo: ” Genes involved in tumor invasion and metastasis are differentially modulated by estradiol and progestin in human breast cancer cells”: International Journal of Cancer, 52: 653-657, 1992.
- M.L. Stracke, J.D. Engel, L.W. Wilson, M.M. Rechler, L.A. Liotta and E. Schiffman: “The type-I insulin-like growth factor receptor is a motility receptor in human melanoma cells”: Journal of Biological Chemistry, 264: 21544-21549, 1989.
- R. Guirguis, E. Shiffman, B. Liu, D. Birkbeck, J.D. Engel and L.A. Liotta: “Detection of autocrine motility factor in urine as a marker of bladder cancer”: Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 80: 1203-1211, 1988.
ABSTRACTS / PRESENTATIONS:
- J.D. Engel : Compliance and Efficacy of Combination Vacuum Erection Device/Tadalafil Penile Rehabilitation Versus Tadalafil Alone: A Prospective, Randomized Pilot Study. Presented at the 2010 Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Farmington, Pennsylvania.
- John P. Mulhall, MDa; Judd W. Moul, MDb; Run Wang, MD, FACSc; David Shin, MDd; Jason D. Engel, MDe; Wesley W. Day, PhDf; Karen DiDonato, RN, MSNf; Winnie Shih, CCRAf; Charles H. Bowden, MDf; and the Avanafil Post-Prostatectomy Study Group: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Multicenter Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Avanafil in the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction Following Bilateral, Nerve-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy
- K.A. Klos, J Rhee, J.D. Engel: Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy Using a Blunt Finger Enucleation Technique. Presented at the 2010 Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Farmington, Pennsylvania.
- J Rhee, D Sutherland, F Ahmed, C Benjamin, J.D. Engel, H. Frazier: Surgical Complications Following Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy: The Initial 1000 Cases Stratified By The Clavien Classification System. Presented at the 2010 Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Farmington, Pennsylvania.
- J.D. Engel , K.R. Wagner, S Taneja, B Goodwin, H Lepor, A.R. McCullough: A Multicenter, Concurrent, Prospective Study of the Longitudinal Effects On Stretched Penile Length After Robotic and Open Radical Prostatectomy. Presented at the 2009 national meeting of the American Urologic Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- J.D. Engel : Business Principles of Urologic Practice. Presented at the 2009 national meeting of the American Urologic Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- Y.M. Hong, W.M. Kao, J Rhee, J.D. Engel: High Risk Prostate Cancer Biochemical Recurrence with Robotic Radical Prostatectomy. Presented at the 2009 Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia.
- A.R. McCullough, H Lepor, R Wang, K.R. Wagner, W.G. Hellstrom, J.D. Engel: Recovery of Erectile Function Following Nerve-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy After Penile Rehabilitation with Nightly Intraurethral Alprostadil Versus Sildenafil Citrate. Presented at the 2009 Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Williamsburg, Virginia.
- J .D. Engel , E.S. Hyams, A Bytyci, B Goodwin, K.R. Wagner, H Lepor, S Taneja, A McCullough: A Prospective Concurrent Longitudinal Study of the Return of Erectile Function After Robotic And Open Prostatectomy From a Penile Rehabilitation Study of Nightly Intraurethral Alprostadil Versus Sildenafil. Presented at the 2008 Mid Atlantic American Urological Association Meeting, Cambridge, Maryland.
- D.E. Sutherland, F.J. Bianco, S.H. Tran, J.D. Engel: Achieving Oncologic Competency with Robotic Prostatectomy: Can a Community Urologist without Fellowship Training Achieve Optimal Results? Presented at the 2008 Mid Atlantic AUA Meeting, Cambridge, Maryland.
- D.E. Sutherland, M.K. Rezaei, A.M. Schwartz, H.A. Frazier, J.D. Engel, Y.M. Hong, N.M. Mourtzinos, B.J. Linder, F.J. Bianco: Anatomic Localization of Positive Surgical Margins Following Robot Assisted Radical Prosatectomy. Presented at the 2008 Mid Atlantic AUA Meeting, Cambridge, Maryland.
- D. Sutherland and J.D. Engel: Robotically Assisted Distal Ureteral Surgery. Presented at the 2008 National American Urological Association meeting, Orlando, Florida. (VIDEO)
- J.D. Engel : Surgical Technique: Evidence Based Evaluation of Open vs. Robotic Prostatectomy Outcomes on Erectile Function. Presented at NYU Annual Consortium, December 2007
- K. Wagner, D. Sutherland, H. Frazier and J.D. Engel: A critical review of bladder neck contractures following robotic prostatectomy. Presented at the 2007 World Congress of Endourology, Cancun, Mexico
- K. Wagner and J.D. Engel: Penile Length after Robotic Prostatectomy: The Effect of Penile Rehabilitation. Presented at the Mid-Atlantic AUA meeting, Northampton, Bermuda, 2007.
- J.D. Engel: Outcomes of Robotically Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy. Presented as a member of the expert panel on Robotic Prostatectomy at the Mid-Atlantic AUA meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, 2005
- J.D. Engel, S. Williams, A. Schwartz, H.A. Frazier: Effect of Learning Curve on Positive Margin Rates in Robotically Assisted Radical Prostatectomy. Presented at the Mid-Atlantic AUA meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, 2005.
- J.D. Engel , A.W. Weiser, Y.C. Hsieh and J.E. Garnett: Long-term biochemical benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy for pathologic Stage C prostate carcinoma patients who had reached PSA undetectability following radical prostatectomy. Presented at the North Central AUA meeting, Amelia Island, Florida, 1998.
- J.D. Engel , B. Konsur, D. Jacobs, C. Megaridis and W. Bushman: Prospective urodynamic evaluation of the human bladder response to an iatrogenic increase in urethral resistance. Presented at the North Central AUA meeting, Amelia Island, Florida, 1998.
- J.D. Engel , N. Gesundheit, P. Lam, L. Todd and K.T. McVary: Efficacy of transurethral alprostadil in patients who failed prior intracavernosal injection therapy. Presented at the North Central AUA meeting, Monterrey, CA, 1997.
- K.T. McVary, J.D. Engel, A. Diokno, H. Guess, J. Kusek, M. Lieber, J. Rochon and J. Tenover: Self-reported sexual function in men with symptoms of BPH – A MTOPS study interim report. Presented at the North Central Section AUA meeting, Monterrey, CA, 1997.
- J.D. Engel , L.S. Palmer, E.Y. Cheng and W.E. Kaplan: Surgical versus endoscopic correction of vesicoureteral reflux in children with neurogenic bladder dysfunction. Presented at the AUA National Meeting, Orlando, Florida, 1996.